Pages

Friday 19 September 2014

When I was doing the photos for the last post, I decided (out of pure boredom) to take a few pictures of my room. I'm a big anime fan and I really like collecting figures. So my room is full of figures, although let's face it, you can never have enough. It's not a particularly big collection. But I hope you enjoy looking at them plastic as much as I do! Now that I look back, it's amazing how every figure, every item in my room has its own history, its own story. 


This is the Nanoha shelf. The two swimsuit ones from Gift are really nicely sculpted, and are easily my favourite figures out of the collection. The other three are by Kotobukiya -- the one featuring the young Nanoha running with a toast in her mouth is incredibly cute! Nanoha is one of my guilty pleasure shows, mostly because of the fact I watch it for the gayness. The movies in particular were very, very gay, but when it's between girls I consider it to be almost un-sinful. A`s is definitely the best out of the trilogy: plenty of emotions, plenty of drama, and Fate's character development went to a whole other level. Then there's the season 1, of course. StrikerS is so bad that I can't even finish it. I look forward to the new series (Vivid) as well.


The wall scrolls are from a local convention. The print quality isn't very good but it makes for great eye candy. I actually quite like Fujima Takuya's drawing style despite how repetitive it is. I'm pretty certain that he can only draw one type of face, though.


My Strike Witches shelf. Honestly, I really prefer the Alter versions (which I'll of course be buying), but the Kotobukiya collection really began with one discounted Minna figure I purchased from AmiAmi. Naturally I won't let Minna sit by herself, so in came Lynette and Erica and the rest of the crew. The figures were actually bought from an anon from /a/, who really tried ripping me off. I was too smart for that and got a pretty good deal, until I realized the shipping would've balanced out any bargains I would've gotten from getting it from him, rather than buying second hand ones from Mandarake. Such is life.

The posters were printed and framed by myself. The frames were from a second hand shop. Misuzu is pretty cute, easily my favourite! She's like my goddess, almost. Then there are also the Clannad girls at the back. I am totally unashamed when I say: I really like cute girls. I can't repeat this enough.


The Dokidoki Precure plushies were bought from a convention when I was in America (in Oakland, out of all places). The other plushie was pulled from a mystery bag (along with a Bento box and a tiny One Piece figure that I was totally uninterested in). And there's also Yuru Yuri pillow, which certainly is very, very hard to get now because it's a prize from Taito and they go out of stock incredibly quickly. I really should've gotten the Kyouko one as well, but there was just no room in my luggage. I've actually never slept with the pillow since I feel very uncomfortable doing so, and hugging them isn't very comfortable So they just have to sleep on the floor. Sorry!


Ah, the outside world! This is the view outside my window.


And now we are back inside. On the top shelf, there's Ultimate Madoka by Good Smile Company and the entire collection of K-on figures by Alter. Ultimate Madoka received the biggest hype when it was announced, but it was honestly really overpriced. I almost regret buying it because of how much the price dropped just a few weeks after it was released since they made way too much. Not to mention that Madoka wasn't my favourite show by any means. The K-on collection started with Azusa, then came Mio and Yui and everyone else. It took me nearly a year to get them together.

In the middle row, there's Makoto (which I just reviewed), Kotobukiya Yui and Mio, and Rakka by Yamato (which, if I'm not mistaken, is sadly out of business). And at the bottom there's a bunch of prize figures: a collection of Sora no Woto figures from Taito, Sega Uiharu and Saten, and the MegaHouse Ranka Lee. At the very bottom (which you can't see), there's also a few tiny figures of the Madoka girls. 

The story behind several of those figures is actually quite fascinating. About a year and half ago, while browsing /jp/ (out of all places) I came across a thread where a guy is giving away his entire collection since he's moving to Japan. So he gave me all his figures, and I only needed to pay shipping. Which was quite a lot, since he was from France, but it was a huge bargain. I wonder what he's doing now? In any case, I was only starting to collect figures back then, and my budget was small, so small I could barely afford the shipping! And to think that if I got the rest of his collection, a Kuroneko or a Senjougahara could be on my shelf as well. Such is life.

The Sega Uiharu and Saten were actually bought because I was involved in a gift exchange on /a/. Back in 2011, some guy had the genius idea that we should do a gift exchange on 4chan for Christmas. It was organized by someone called Sandy (who, it turns out, was a slightly overweight woman living in Minnesota, but I can't remember now), and I was assigned with someone in Auckland. His request was that the gift should have something to do with his 'waifu', Uiharu from Raildex. So I bought a figure for him and after that, some really interesting email correspondence.

Things would've gone fine until the day he decided we should meet in real life. On the day of my birthday, the anon came to my house with a birthday cake. Then it turns out that the anon was actually a girl! It was super awkward for her, and she looked exactly like Tomoko from WataMote with her glasses on. I bought her a cake as well for her birthday, but our correspondence stopped after that since things got too awkward, I suppose. I hope you're doing fine, Debra. 

(I also got to know a Brazilian guy who met his girlfriend and fiancée from Germany via this crazy gift exchange on 4chan. But I guess that's a story for another day)


Another picture of Misuzu.

The plaque on the right has a really interesting story behind it. I got it when I was on exchange in California. I was with an acquaintance with mine, and we went together to San Francisco's Japantown to attend their Sakura Blossom Festival. When we were finished, we went to the bus stop, and I saw a girl writing calligraphy on the side of the road. Her name was Tomomi. My acquaintance and I were trying to guess her age, and we thought she was twenty. It turns out she was 35, and used to be an ER nurse until she decided she was going to be a children's artist in America. Crazy!



More pictures of girls from Key. The one on the left is by moonknives and easily one of my favourites.


Back to the main shelf. I used to be really into buying DVDs and BDs, but there's really no point besides it looking nice on the shelf since all the anime is on the computer already. I only like the artboxes and the packaging, unfortunately. I also have a ton of manga on the shelves, some of which were mailed to me by my aunt who lives in Japan and has a successful business managing sake bars for drunken Japanese businessmen.

That's everything about my room which I consider really interesting, I suppose. I think the living environment of an individual really reflects the kind of person he is. But I can't really say what kind of person I am. I'm just going to try my best making my room as comfortable as possible and perhaps replace some of the old wardrobes in the near future. Maybe some new posters here and there.