Pages

Monday 11 August 2014


Recently I've started on a new diet. I figured that I had not been eating enough protein, and since I'd been a vegetarian for the past five years or so there was no way I could eat meat again. I'm actually trying out a few brands right now since the original tomato sauce flavour is getting a bit boring. My new favourite is the Mexican flavour with the jalapeƱos, and I've been eating it for the past few days. My diet has become increasingly simple as of late, and I've been seriously considering buying some Soylent in the near future so that I'd never have to cook again, at least for a short while (in case you haven't heard, Soylent is this tasteless food powder that's suppose to be blended into a slurry - it's pretty gross).

I found a new restaurant near my university which I've become quite fond of. It's a small, Japanese place tucked away in the middle of an old-fashioned shopping mall, and there are only a few stools inside. But for some reason the place makes me warm and fuzzy inside, maybe because of the pot of curry at the back of kitchen that seems to be permanently boiling. The place is basically a downsized family restaurant, and they sold only curry and croquettes. The curry was six dollars while the croquettes were a dollar each. The curry there tasted very different from the curry I make at home. I heard that Japanese curry is supposed to have honey and apples in it, which gives it a very sweet flavour that I'm very fond it. Well, at least that's what I guessed. I wonder if they keep the mixture of their curry a trade secret or something.

The little shop is owned by a young Japanese couple. The guy is quite lanky but the young woman was actually quite attractive - she'd dyed her hair blond and a big, pretty smile, and I rather enjoyed it when she asked me (with a strange yet charming Japanese accent) whether I wanted pickles on my rice. The first time I came here, she was tending to a few babies the customers brought with them, and she kept on saying 'kawaii desu ne' or something like that, which made me slightly uncomfortable because listening to that real life felt quite surreal. I also bought one of those soda bottles (the ones with marbles inside) for three dollars -- there were only 200ml inside, which I thought was an absolute rip. But I loved the sound of the 'pop' the bottle made when the seal is broken, and that gentle sizzle of the bubbly fizz coming out. It's winter here in New Zealand, but those fizzy drinks made me think about summer.

On the way home, I met an old friend of mine whom I hadn't met in a few weeks. He looked surprisingly chill and relaxed and I felt that he was the sort of person who would let nothing get him down, even if it means doing assignments on the day before it's due or dealing with a really bad GPA. He's still exactly the same as before, really, and all he really does in his spare time was playing video games. I invited him to rob some banks with me on Payday 2 but his response was very lukewarm, and I'm okay with it since I am absolutely terrible at robbing banks. But our conversation soon ran out of steam. I felt that our common language had ran out somewhat, and I was getting quite bored of video games to begin with.

Tomorrow I have a cover letter to write. I've already thought of the structure but I still feel a bit icky about the writing itself since I'm not confident whether I'll get this position. It's going to be a long day.